About Dr. Lucas
I have a lifelong investment in creating fuller, more abundant and mindful lives. I have a core commitment to healing and growth, a commitment to which I bring my diverse and well-grounded personal, educational and clinical experiences.
I am a psychologist in private practice, providing group and individual psychotherapy for adults. The work I do often focuses on:
- emotional growth and development;
- relationships with one’s self and with others;
- healthy self-understanding;
- enhancement of physical health through psychological wellness, and greater life satisfaction.
In addition to my extensive background in Clinical Psychology, I am trained and experienced in Neuropsychology (the study of the brain-behavior relationship). I understand well the connections between physical and emotional well-being.
I have a special interest in interpersonal neurobiology, an integrative approach which cultivates mindful awareness. The practice of mindfulness is now being shown to stimulate the brain to grow new, more integrated circuits ~ and may be at the heart of well-being, including emotional balance and resilience, enhanced relationships and attachments, improved cardiac and immune function, and an enhanced sense of empathy, connectedness, and self-understanding. This dovetails extremely well with my interest in the psychology of authentic happiness (also referred to as “positive psychology”), working from a focus on using one’s signature strengths for more fulfilling relationships, better health, and more meaningful work.
Some of the researchers and writers whom I find invigorating to psychotherapy include (and these are only a few):
- Daniel Siegel, MD;
- Tara Brach, PhD;
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD;
- Martin Seligman, PhD; and
- John O’Donohue, PhD.
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology
Emory University ~ Atlanta, Georgia
- Internship, Clinical Psychology
U.N.C. Medical School ~ Chapel Hill
- M.A., Psychology
State University of New York at Binghamton
- B.A., Psychology (with Distinction)
University of Virginia ~ Charlottesville
- American Psychological Association
- American Academy of Psychotherapists
- International Neuropsychological Society
- Member of the American Psychological Association
I have also written a book about mindfulness, the brain, and relationships. To learn more about this, visit www.RewireYourBrainForLove.com.